Monday, April 11, 2011

I - is for INTUITION

Merriam-Webster defines intuition as a quick and ready insight, immediate apprehension or cognition, knowledge or conviction gained by intuition, the power or faculty of attaining to direct knowledge or cognition without evident rational thought and inference.

Sugar Magnolia defines intuition as the feeling you get when the hair stands up on the back of your neck, your breath becomes shortened and somewhat labored, your heart rate increases and your palms get sweaty and sometimes, in my case, I get a little dizzy or disoriented.  It is that feeling of just "knowing".

Now I've caught alot of flack in my life for my intuition.  People generally just don't want to hear that you "know" something they don't, especially, if you have no way of proving it. You can warn, beg, plead, and everything else and they just don't want to hear it.  Usually, this is what I get, "You mean you want me to believe this, even though you have no proof, just because you have a feeling?!!"  Because I have learned to trust my intuition, which has been proven accurate to me time and time again, my answer is always...yes.

So, where does this intuition come from you might wonder?  Good question, one I have often contemplated, and one that I still can not give a definitive answer for, but, I have a general idea. 

Some folks believe that we are born with intuition.  They believe that it is like a gift, a heightened awareness, (there's that "A" word again), such as, exceptional hearing, or vision.  I believe this is part of it, but I also believe it has alot to do with my "E" word...energy. 

When I wrote about energy, I described the state of being "plugged in" to the Divine Source of all energy...God, The Most High, Spirit.  I believe that long ago, our ancestors were more tuned in and plugged in to the Divine Source of all energy and that they were much more aware of everything.  They ordered their lives around the changing of the seasons.  They planted and harvested their crops by the phases of the moon.  They could tell you if a storm was coming without a weather radar.  I know my grandfather, Charles Causey, always knew if a storm was coming or snow or a tornado without turning on a T.V. or watching a weather radar to find out. 

Our ancestors were also very reliant on their God.  They believed in a Higher Power and they believed that their lives were dependent upon the grace and blessings of that Power.  They were also very big on giving thanks for the harvest and for the many blessings in their lives.  They even had ceremonies created for the sole purpose of giving thanks, Samhain comes to mind.  Other than Thanksgiving Day, how often do the majority of us stop everything, prepare a feast, and come together just to give thanks and praise to our Creator, our God?  How often do we make a celebration of giving thanks?  More often than not we throw out a casual - "thanks" and that's it and we expect that to be good enough.  Hmmmmm....

I have noticed a turning away from the traditions of our ancestors.  Our modern society is plugged in to electronics, money, power, ego, self, much more so, than the natural world and The Divine.  We have cut ourselves off from the Divine Source of power, energy and intuition.  We believe in our own power.  We no longer "hear" that still small voice that gives us warning, guidance and insight.  We have lost touch with our intuition.

So, is intuition a gift that only a select few have been blessed with?  Maybe, maybe not.  It may just be that we all have been given the gift, but only a few have actually unwrapped it.  I have been in the process of unwrapping my gift for quite some time, and I have found that the more I stayed tuned in to God and the natural world, the more clear, quick and accurate my intuition becomes.  Give it a try.  You might just be AMAZED:)

5 comments:

  1. I learned the hard way to trust my intuition. After the first couple of times of my gut telling me one thing and I did the opposite and it blowing up in my face, I now trust when my intuition kicks in and follow it!

    ::two thumbs up::

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always trust my intuition. Always. Great post, Miz Sugah Magnolia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learned to trust my intuition, things usually don't go so well if I don't.

    Great to see your view on it, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Nicely done," says the shaman. ;) *clapping enthusiastically*

    ReplyDelete